So, I'm now patiently waiting for Rumblesoft, Inc.'s technical support folks to get me that test file to try to make GenDetective work with MyHeritage Family Tree Builder's GEDCOM export. While waiting, I figured I'd take the GEDCOM 5.5 exported from Legacy 7.5 and play with GenDetective, even though the data is a little out of date. At least I could get a good idea of what I could expect from GenDetective.
So, like Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings, I ran the GenDetective Analyzer. It appeared to import the data properly, not even an error in the process. Great! I looked at the data statistics, and they look reasonable. Okay, exit the Analyzer, which automatically runs the Reporter (I left the little box checked to do that).
Let's look at some reports... Hm. Lots of people in here, but there's a problem. The people in the report are NOT MINE. These are the sample data people! How did they get in here? I exited the Reporter, looked for and deleted every sample file I could find, and tried again. Same results!
Okay, I really want to play with this software, but the problems I'm having, and the problems Randy is having, are making me think Rumblesoft needs to work on this a bit longer before releasing it. I'll wait until the tweaked version gets installed to make a final pronouncement, but so far it doesn't look good.
I've used GenSmarts for a while now, and never had a problem with it. It's not real pretty, but it does a good job of showing me where I need addiditonal research and data. I was wondering if GenDetective would do a better job, or maybe be prettier, but so far I can't even get it to run properly.
More updates as they happen...