Saturday, October 29, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - 7 Billion

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings says:

It's Saturday Night again -- and time for more Genealogy Fun!!! 

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  Use the Population Counter on the BBC News website to determine your place in the current world population, and your place in all of history (of course, these are estimates...see the website for how they calculated this).  Enter your birth date into the fields and click on "Go."

2)  Tell us about your results in your own blog post, as a Comment on this blog post, or as a status line in Facebook or a Stream post on Google Plus.  For extra credit, show us the image from the website with your information on it.

Here's mine:

When I was born, I was number 3,392,183,111 (and take with a grain of salt, these are all estimates based on a number of factors).  Since I was born, the population of Earth has more than doubled.  In my lifetime.  That's redundant, but I think it's an impressive thing to say.


77,340,061,230 people came before me.  Seventy-Seven Billion.  That's a lot of people.  How many are in your genealogy database?  Mine currently has about 5,500.  I wonder where they figure the first person was - what made that one the first person?  I'm assuming the people making this are evolutionists, so which proto-human was good enough to call the first Person?  If they're Creationists, is Adam #1?  And have we had time to have 77 billion people since Adam? 

Randy is giving bonus points (where can I redeem those?) for including a screen shot of our numbers. 

As Randy points out, that big NEXT button leads to more stats about people and life expectancy and population growth.  As I live in the same country (USA) as Randy does, I'm not going to bother to repost the figures.  Besides, you can go to that site and do it for YOUR blog post or journal entry, right?


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2011 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment