Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Ancestors Geneameme

Thanks to Jill Ball of Geniaus for starting this geneameme. Thanks also to Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings for making this a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun!  My list is annotated as follows:
  • Things I have already done or found
  • Things I would like to have done or found
  • Things I haven’t done or found
  1. Can name my 16 great-great-grandparents (Well, I can if I have my software open...)
  2. Can name over 50 direct ancestors (Same as above.)
  3. Have photographs or portraits of my 8 great-grandparents (I have 6 photos of the individuals, two I have only photos pf their tombstones.)
  4. Have an ancestor who was married more than three times
  5. Have an ancestor who was a bigamist
  6. Met all four of my grandparents (One died well before I was born, I met all of the others.)
  7. Met one or more of my great-grandparents (all but one died before I was born, and I did meet that one.)
  8. Named a child after an ancestor (my eldest is named for his mother and father, does that count?  Its his ancestors, not mine, so technically I guess it doesn't count unless he does his own copy of this meme.)
  9. Bear an ancestor's given name/s
  10. Have an ancestor from Great Britain or Ireland (My Day line is from Great Britain, among others.)
  11. Have an ancestor from Asia
  12. Have an ancestor from Continental Europe (Many Germans, some from Luxembourg.)
  13. Have an ancestor from Africa
  14. Have an ancestor who was an agricultural laborer (Couldn't even tell you how many are listed as Farmer on census documents...  Lots.)
  15. Have an ancestor who had large land holdings (Define large land holdings.  One or more may qualify.)
  16. Have an ancestor who was a holy man - minister, priest, rabbi (A number of them, of a few denominations, none recent.)
  17. Have an ancestor who was a midwife
  18. Have an ancestor who was an author
  19. Have an ancestor with the surname Smith, Murphy or Jones (I have Smith ancestors, as I would bet a good number of American people do.)
  20. Have an ancestor with the surname Wong, Kim, Suzuki or Ng
  21. Have an ancestor with a surname beginning with X
  22. Have an ancestor with a forename beginning with Z (Zachary (2), Zak, Zander, Zane, Zion, Zita (2), Zoey and Zula (2) all start with Z.)
  23. Have an ancestor born on 25th December (I have 16 people with known birth dates of Dec. 25th of various years.) 
  24. Have an ancestor born on New Year's Day (I have 14 people with reported birthdates of Janueary 1st of various years.)
  25. Have blue blood in your family lines (No royalty here, at least not proven.  There's a very conjectural possibility that my Day line actually descends from Welsh nobility, but I've not seen any proof.)
  26. Have a parent who was born in a country different from my country of birth 
  27. Have a grandparent who was born in a country different from my country of birth  (My lines have all been in the United States for quite some time.  Come from early colonial times.)
  28. Can trace a direct family line back to the eighteenth century (Oh yeah.  See #27.)
  29. Can trace a direct family line back to the seventeenth century or earlier (1604, Ipswich, Suffolk, England, Robert Day. He's pretty well documented. Others date earlier, but documentation is scarce.)
  30. Have seen copies of the signatures of some of my great-grandparents
  31. Have ancestors who signed their marriage certificate with an X (I'm sure some did, but I don't have many marriage certificates yet.)
  32. Have a grandparent or earlier ancestor who went to university (Direct line?  No.  Others have.)
  33. Have an ancestor who was convicted of a criminal offense (Not to my knowledge.)
  34. Have an ancestor who was a victim of crime (Doubtless, but none I have solid documentation for. Several anecdotal stories exist.)
  35. Have shared an ancestor's story online or in a magazine (http://indianadillmans.blogspot.com)
  36. Have published a family history online or in print (A whole family history? not as a story or even a complete "book" or report. My tree is online in several places.)
  37. Have visited an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries (No, but I may have an opportunity forthcoming!  I'm probably too chicken to ask.)
  38. Still have an ancestor's home from the 19th or earlier centuries in the family (Would be nice, as my great-grandfather Clyde Day had a nice farm spread back in his day.)
  39. Have a  family bible from the 19th Century
  40. Have a pre-19th century family bible



This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2011 by Daniel G. Dillman

1 comment:

  1. Daniel, you take the prize for zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Thanks for participating in the meme challenge and for your extensive comments. It was a great read

    ReplyDelete