Sunday, December 4, 2011

Advent Calendar - December 4, Christmas Cards

December 4 – Christmas Cards
Did your family send cards? Did your family display the ones they received? Do you still send Christmas cards? Do you have any cards from your ancestors?



My family sent and received Christmas cards from various friends and family members for a long time.  My grandmother was a great one for any sort of correspondence.  I don't know if I still have a card from her or not, but I'm pretty sure I have a letter from her on holiday stationery.  The cards we sent were generally store-bought greeting cards.  We displayed cards we received about as long as we kept the decorations us.

I haven't sent any cards in a number of years.  I never was very good at that sort of thing, being more inclined toward electronic communications, and not for particular occasions.  I did try to take up that practice, and sent cards to people for about three years, but it just didn't catch on with me.  About the time I started to get people sending them back, I fell out of the habit.  I just don't have the time, the inclination or the legible handwriting to do those, and people seem to frown on anything that doesn't have at least some hand-written stuff as being too impersonal.


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2011 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment