Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Advent Calendar - Dec 12th

December 12 – Charitable/Volunteer Work
Did your family ever volunteer with a charity such as a soup kitchen, homeless or battered women’s shelter during the holidays? Or perhaps were your ancestors involved with church groups that assisted others during the holiday?


I don't recall my family ever doing that sort of thing.  We were involved with our church groups, but doing stuff within the church.  I do recall some Christmas caroling some years with my in-laws before they were my in-laws, at a local apartment tower where my wife's great aunt lived.

The last few years, I've given a day to work with the local Catholic Charities handing out gifts to needy families.  The families apply to the charity, and they match up donors that purchase appropriate gifts for those families.  As they arrive at a central distribution point, a bunch of volunteers (like me) assist those families in loading the gifts in their vehicles so they can take them home.  It's a full day of running back and forth to the parking lot with carts full of presents.  It's fun to be able to give these folks something for Christmas, it always brings smiles all around.


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2012 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment