Friday, December 21, 2012

Advent Calendar - Dec 21st

December 21 – Christmas Music
What songs did your family listen to during Christmas? Did you ever go caroling? Did you have a favorite song?


My family listened to traditional Christmas music, especially Christmas hymns.  We did hear some of the popular tunes on the radio and at the ice skating rink.  We didn't go caroling that I can remember, but as it was not one of my favorite things to do, I may have blanked out that memory.

I probably had a favorite song, and knowing my tastes it was probably some Christmas novelty song like the Chipmunks, or I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas or something like that.  Not that I didn't enjoy traditional songs, but I have an irreverent streak that manifests at inappropriate times...

More recently, I enjoy modern Christmas music, especially the Mannheim Steamroller collections.  In fact, their first Christmas album was the very first music CD I ever bought, even before I had a player to listen to it.  I also attended one of their concerts that year (1986) in St. Paul.  I always intend to make it to another of their concerts when they tour each year, but so far I haven't made it to any more.

Generally, though, I find that Christmas music is so overplayed everywhere for so long that I don't often listen to it of my own accord.  Like the rest of Christmas, it's become so over-commercialized and extended, that I have lost any desire to participate.



This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2012 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment