Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent Calendar - Dec 23rd

December 23 – Christmas Sweetheart Memories
Do you have a special memory of a first Christmas present from a sweetheart? How did you spend your first Christmas together? Any Christmas engagements or weddings among your ancestors?


I don't recall specifically how we spent our first Christmas as a couple.  I know we started dating in November, and no one around us was certain how serious we were, so I'm sure it was pretty limited.  I know I visited her house a couple of times during the season, and she came to my house once or twice, but I don't remember if either of us were present at the other's main Christmas celebration. 

I think I may have been at hers.   As I was from a small, local nuclear family with a fairly quiet Christmas celebration, I remember being somewhat overwhelmed by the frenetic activity of her large, extended family's boisterous gift opening tradition.  My family had five people, hers had over forty.  My family went in turns, opening one gift at a time around the circle.  Hers was a mad free-for-all of people opening all of their gifts at will, and often included tossing wrapping paper wads at each other, with loud conversation and thanks over it all. 

I don't remember what she got me, but I do remember what I got for her.  It was a stuffed bear with a comical facial expression.  She still has it.  It's a little worse for wear, but still in decent shape.

There are no Christmas weddings or engagements on either side, so that aspect isn't something we celebrate at this point in time.  In the future, who knows?



This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2012 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment