Saturday, March 16, 2013

SNGF - Lunch With ???

Once again it's Saturday, and that means time for Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun!

Here is your assignment if you choose to play along (cue the Mission Impossible music, please!): 

1)  Read Lisa Alzo's blog post Back for a Fourth Year: Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women's History Month on her blogThe Accidental Genealogist.

2)  Answer the writing prompt for 16 March:  
If you could have lunch with any female family member (living or dead), or any famous female, who would it be and why? Where would you go? What would you eat?

3)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, in a Facebook post or a Google+ post.

Here's mine:


 This sort of post is very difficult for me as there are SO MANY CHOICES.  Limiting myself to just one is an exercise in frustration, even if I choose only among family members and don't include famous females.  So, having got myself through all of that prior to starting this post, I have chosen Emma Gertrude (McMurry) Williams (09 Jun 1901 - 03 Apr 1950), my maternal grandmother.  Why is actually pretty simple; she's the only one of my grandparents I never got to meet.  I'd like to know what she was like, her sense of humor, her likes and dislikes.

Since my maternal grandparents were not well to do, we would probably eat at their house.  Even that might be only a tent depending on when I visit!  As for what we would have, I'm not sure.  Whatever they could afford, I suppose.  Since they lived in Louisiana, I would also make the assumption that it would be southern-style cooking of some sort, perhaps even Cajun or Creole styles.  I'm a rather picky eater when it comes to spicy foods, so I would likely do some negotiating on that score.  However, it might just as well have been a lunch of fried chicken and rice.  (All of this assumes a time travel motif, where I go back in time to meet them.  If they were in the here and now, where we would go and what we would eat would be entirely different!)

I would like to know more about Emma's family, including especially her mother-in-law, India M. (Sandel) Williams (26 Jul 1877 - 31 Jul 1912) about whom I have only the briefest, sketchiest information.  I know India's family situation growing up was not stable, and I would like to know more about her parents, siblings and half-siblings. 


This and all other articles on this blog are © copyright 2013 by Daniel G. Dillman

No comments:

Post a Comment